Why Does Google Rent Goats? – 7 Mind-Blowing Facts About Google
1. The main reason why Google’s home page is so simple is due to the fact that Larry Page and Sergey Brin didn’t know HTML and just wanted a quick interface. (This reminds me of our early Android app – Fergie Time)
2. Because of the simplicity of the homepage, in early user tests they found people just sitting there looking at the screen. After a minute without any action, the tester intervened and asked ‘Whats up?’ to which they replied “We are waiting for the rest of it to load”.
They solved that problem by inserting a Copyright message to act as an end of page marker.
3. Google has used goats in several occasions to mow their Mountain View HQ as part of their green initiative.
4. Every time you enter a CAPTCHA, you are helping Google digitize books. These work because no algorithm at present can read distorted text as well as we humans do. So every time you solve such a CAPTCHA, you are helping Google read a book, word by word.
5. Google’s first data center was made from LEGO bricks. It was a cheap and easily expandable way to build them.
6. The “I feel lucky” button is rarely used. However, in trials it was found that users want it. It is a part of the ‘Google Experience’.
7. The name ‘Google’ was an accident. The original founders were going for ‘Googol’ – it’s a mathematical term, but ended up with ‘Google’ due to a spelling mistake on a check that investors wrote to them.
Google’s original name was BackRub.
These guys have changed the world with Google and still are working on ways to improve people’s lives. What are you working on?